Monday, September 17, 2012

Chicken Teriyaki

chicken teriyaki

Today, a made a special dish for my family's lunch. I made chicken teriyaki. Chicken teriyaki, is a popular japanese dish. I got the recipe from Nami- Just One CookbookThanks to Nami, for her delicious recipe. If you wanna know the original recipe, please check in the link above. In my chicken teriyaki, I made some modifications from the original recipe, specially about the seasoning. The original recipe use sake and mirin, I ommited that, because I'm a moslem, I don't consume mirin and sake. So, I substituted sake with lemon juice and substituted mirin with sweet soy sauce. Here is the recipe :

Chicken Teriyaki
Recipe by Nami-Just One CookBook, modified by me.

Ingredients:

1 lb boneless chicken breast/thigh (I used 3 pieces of chicken thigh with skin) (I use 1/2 kg boneless chicken breast)
2 Tbsp. sake for steaming (I don't consume sake, so I substitute with 2 tbsp lemon juice)

Teriyaki Sauce
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. water
1 Tbsp. sake (I don't consume sake, so I substitute with 1 tbsp lemon juice)
1 Tbsp. mirin (I don't consume mirin, so I substitute with 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce)
1 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 onion, grated, including juice (This is a grater I use.) 
1 inch ginger, grated, including juice


Instructions:

Rinse chicken in running water and cut into smaller pieces. I cut one thigh into 4 small pieces so the chicken will be cooked through quickly and we can use chopsticks to eat. Then prick the chicken (not the skin side) with a fork.


Combine Teriyaki Sauce ingredients in a bowl or Ziploc bag.


Add chicken and marinate for 2-3 hours.



Heat oil on medium high in a large skillet. When it’s hot, place the chicken pieces from skin side. The marinade will burn easily so try not to add any liquid in the pan. Do not throw away the marinade.



When skin side is nicely browned, flip the chicken (now skin side is up). Then add sake and cook covered for 8-10 minutes. (I don't use sake, I substitute with lemon juice)



Then remove the chicken to a plate and clean the skillet.


Heat a little bit of oil and put the chicken back to the skillet, skin side down first to make the skin crispy.

Then flip again (now skin side is up) and pour the Teriyaki Sauce. Cook until the sauce is reduced a bit. Use spoon to pour on top of chicken a couple of times while you are cooking. (It's better to add some water in the sauce, because my teriyaki was lack of sauce :))

Serve the chicken and pour sauce on top.(I add some sesame seed on top)


chicken teriyaki

Well, the result tasted really yummy.....my whole family loved it. It tasted differrent with chicken dish I ever made. The chicken teriyaki tasted sour but fresh, I really loved the ginger scent . The whole dish, both the chicken and the sauce were absolutely delicious. It's better eat when it just take off, fresh from the pan ^^



chicken teriyaki

No comments:

Post a Comment